Strep Tonsillitis Cause
Strep Tonsillitis is caused by infection of your tonsils by a nefarious bacteria known scientifically as streptococcus. Your tonsils are two 'guard posts' at the back of your throat filled with white blood cells that fight infection in the mouth, nose, and sinus areas. Tonsillitis is inflammation of your tonsils and is quite painful.
Picture of Tonsillitis:
Tonsillitis is most common in spring and winter i.e. during flu seasons, and occurs more often in kids younger than 10.
Strep throat tonsillitis tends to be sore enough to make swallowing difficult, with high fevers >38 celcius (100F), and symptoms restricted to the throat. Doctors can differentiate between strep throat and viral tonsillitis by running a throat culture - cotton tipped swab of the tonsil sent to the lab. If strep grows it is strep tonsillitis.
Strep Tonsillitis Symptoms:
- Very sore throat
- Painful to swallow
- Bad breath
- White spots on your tonsils
- Swollen painful glands in your neck called lymph nodes
Strep Tonsillitis Treatment:
- Voice Rest
- Keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluid
- Acetominophen in kids and aspirin in adults for pain and fever
- Antibiotics for 7 days from your doctor.
- In strep tonsillitis attacks five or more times per year, the overactive tonsils may be surgically removed - tonsillectomy - under general anesthesia by an ear nose and throat specialist for a permanent cure.
Doctor Secrets! "A danger sign in kids with tonsillitis is total refusal of food and drooling. This suggests 'kissing tonsils' which are blocking their throat. If noted they should be seen by a doctor for immediate assessment".