ORAL THRUSH is caused by overgrowth of a fungus - Candida albicans - in your mouth. It is not normal in adults but can be in breastfeeding babies. In adults, oral thrush can be a symptom of any disease which lowers your body's immune system defences.
Oral Thrush Cause
- Medications like prednisone or asthma steroid puffers.
- HIV AIDS - this virus gradually kills white blood cells needed to fight infection.
- Leukemia - this is an overgrowth of one white cell type at the expense of the others.
- Hereditary immune defects - some persons are born with defects in their ability to fight infections.
Oral Thrush Symptoms
- White fuzzy plaques along the inside of your mouth.
- White spots coating your tongue that do not scrape off.
- Soreness of your tongue.
- Bleeding when scraped.
Picture of Tongue Thrush
Oral Thrush Treatment
- Swish and swallow with antifungal mouth washes 3 to 4 times daily until the thrush clears.
- Tablet antifungal treatment for resistant or severe cases of oral thrush.
- Treating any predisposing illnesses to oral thrush like diabetes.
- Eat yogurt with live bacteria to restore balance to your mouth's flora.
Doctor Secrets! Many people with a white film across their tongue think its oral thrush. But it's actually dead cells and bacterial scum build up. Treat it by using a tongue scraper after brushing your teeth.