Vaginal Yeast Infection
Vaginal Yeast Infection Causes
Vaginal Yeast Infection is caused by tiny fungi like bread mold that waft around in the air and grow where there's warmth, moisture and secretions.
One yeast, Candida albicans, finds life in the vagina ideal. It is warm, spacious, and mucous secreted by its walls is an abundant food for it.
Diabetics with high blood sugar are even more favorable to the yeast as some of that sugar finds its way into the vagina as a high energy food. Pregnancy also results in sugar spilling into the vagina making yeast infections more common.
Another instance which makes Vaginal Yeast Infection likely is after a course of antibiotics. Antibiotics don't kill yeast, only bacteria. But without bacteria competition in the vagina any Candida present gets all the food left and grow faster.
Candida in small amounts is a normal finding in the vagina, mouth, and elsewhere but when circumstances allow it to grow unchecked then it becomes an infection.
Vaginal Yeast Infection Symptoms
- Itching of the vagina.
- White discharge that looks like curdled milk.
- After intercourse without condoms the male partner may complain of burning and itching of his penis.
- Circular rashes on the outside of the vagina.
Picture of Yeast
Vaginal Yeast Infection Treatment
- Yeast Creams rubbed around insidethe vagina.
- Yeast Pessaries inserted high up into the vagina where they dissolve and kill the fungus.
- Yeast Antifungal Tablets which are swallowed and kill the fungus from the inside out.
- With repetitive back to back infections longer courses, up to three months, of yeast killing tablets orally or by pessary can be tried as an eradication therapy.
- Avoid pantihose and tight jeans which reduce air drying of the vagina.
- After defecation the bottom should be wiped from front to back to avoid seeding the vagina.
- Eat half a cup of yogurt with live yogurt cultures which competes with Candida.
- Double rinsing underwear after washing.
- Use an iron to touch up panties before wearing also kills yeast hinding.